Last Updated on
These quick, pliable, low carb, paleo tortillas are my go to recipe now whenever we cook Mexican foods or I want to make myself a sandwich or lettuce wrap.
Lately I've been on a roll with sharing my favorite recipes for making grain free sandwich and salad wraps, tortillas, pitas, etc. A couple of weeks ago I showed you how I usually make myself paleo pitas for serving with recipes like my grilled souvlaki.
Not too long before that I also shared with you my recipe for flaxseed paleo tortillas without eggs. I shared those because I have a friend who can't eat eggs or wheat, and I wanted to show her that you really can make a pliable tortilla without eggs. While I have made those tortillas several times now, truth be told, I don't make them very often.
My real go-to recipe for low carb, paleo tortillas is this one, and I make them almost every week now. The nice thing about either of them is that they keep very well for several days in the fridge, so you can make them ahead of time. I keep them in a plastic ziplock bag, and they are even more pliable after being in the bag in the fridge for a while.
I have hens at home, and actually like that this recipe uses several eggs because it helps me use some of them up. I also think it's a good idea not to go overboard on eating flaxseeds, and this recipe uses a lot less of them than the other one. The flaxseeds, though, do a wonderful job of helping to make a pliable tortilla without using flour. They work so well that this tortilla can be made very thinly and still hold up well to filling and rolling it up.
In any case they are very quick to make, and I find them quicker and easier than making something like a pancake, for example, despite it being made by a similar method. I think it goes so quickly because you spread out the mix very thinly, so it cooks very quickly. Plus, with the fat content in the flaxseeds, I don't have issues with these sticking to the pan.
Low Carb Paleo Tortillas with Flaxseed and Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c. flaxseeds
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Start making your tortillas by grinding your flaxseeds in your blender until you get a fine flaxseed meal.
- Add your 4 eggs and salt to the flaxseeds and continue to blend until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Let the mixture set for a few minutes; you will see that the mixture will get quite thick.
- Heat your skillet to medium heat and add a few drops of oil to it. Use a cloth or paper towel to wipe the bottom of the pan with a fine layer of oil.
- Pour in some of your flaxseed and egg mixture into the pan and use a spatula to help spread the mixture, covering the pan with a thin layer.
- Let it cook for a minute or two until the edges start to separate from the sides of the pan. You can now use your spatula to help release the tortilla from the pan and flip it over.
- Brown for about 30 seconds on the other side and remove from the pan. Make a stack of tortillas as you remove them; the moisture from the other tortillas will help make them even more pliable.