Looking for a naturally sweetened treat that is easy to make? These coconut date balls (or bites) may be just what you are looking for.
In the past, I have showed you how I make my own Coconut Butter.
One day, when making it, I decided that I was going to add in some dates to sweeten the mix. With only a few dates, you end up with a slightly sweeter coconut butter that you can use as a spread.
Add in some more dates and you end up with a thicker mix that can be formed into balls.
In the winter, the balls will harden up as the coconut oil solidifies in the cold. I used to make them often, calling them coconut date balls.
Lately, though, I have preferred to form them in silicone chocolate molds, forming a more delicately shaped coconut date bite, that can be served when entertaining.
- 250 g Dried, Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut (3½ - 4 cups)
- 8-10 Pitted Dates (I prefer organic like these)
- Pour the shredded coconut into a food processor and process on medium speed until you end up with coconut butter. This will take quite awhile (10-15 minutes).
- When it starts to get mostly smooth, add in some dates. If you add in too many, it can get very difficult to form the balls.
- Process for long enough to get a mixture that can be shaped into balls.
- Either roll the mix into balls, or push into silicone candy molds or small ice cube trays. When using molds, placing them in the freezer allows them to harden enough to easily remove them.
- Pop your coconut bites out of your molds.
The more dates you add, the sweeter the coconut date balls will be, but the mix will also be more crumbly. It’s a good idea to add the last few dates one by one to make sure you aren’t adding too many, which results in a mix that is difficult to form into balls that hold their shape. If you do add too many, either add in a little more coconut butter, or you could try adding in a little coconut oil to make a mix that will hold together better.
This recipe has been featured in the community cookbook, Naturally Sweetened Treats!PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.